Iron Dreams

Friday, September 10, 2004

What Have I Done?

I signed up for Ironman Coeur d'Alene.

How did this happen? Didn't I say in another blog entry that an ironman would require a lot of time to train for? Furthermore, didn't I back out of a half ironmman this season?

This is all true, but some friends got me excited about doing it. Both are training partners I have an occasional workout with. One is planning on Ironman USA Lake Placid next year, and another plans on Ironman Arizona. Plus I know an acquaintance who will likely do Ironman Canada next year.

The key is all these people seem normal to me - I know many other triathletes who are on another plane of ability all together. It isn't too motivating to hear that those kinds of people are planning on an ironman - I just can't relate. But having ordinary triathletes and friends that are around my abilities (sorry, that isn't meant as an insult!) is far more exciting.

When I went to visit a friend in Vancouver, I really did mean to spectate and sign up for Ironman Canada. But I didn't. I did enter the lottery for Ironman Canada, and will eventually find out whether or not I made it in. Ironman Arizona is closed to general entry, but still open to Community Fund entry (a charity program that boils down to a $1000 entry fee). When my friend informed me that Ironman Coeur d'Aene was still open, I thought about it a while... and then plunked down my $442 ($425 plus some extra fees) and signed up. After all, a definite entry is better than hoping for the lottery or spending over twice as much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home