Iron Dreams

Thursday, January 13, 2005

IM Training Thoughts

Recently T1 and T2 have indicated they are thinking of withdrawing from IMAZ. This got me thinking about the whole ironman training process.

First, I am convinced most reasonably experienced triathletes can train and complete an ironman as long as their finish time goals are realistic. However, such a person might also need more time to build up for one. If you sit back and think - how am I going to train for these distances, they are crazy! - you might pysche yourself out... unless you allow yourself enough time and gradually build up.

I'm not saying the training will be easy, in fact, I'm sure it will be tough to get out there once I'm further along. There will be days where I'll just not want to train and wind up having a willpower battle just to do it.

On the other hand, there does come a time when you have to make the judgement call, am I really beat and thus need to have a rest day? Am I really prepared enough to do the event?

Fundamentally the training should be fun and enjoyable, and not a chore. Sure, it will be tricky to schedule sometimes, but ultimately it should be something to look forward to. So while we have to push ourselves to train, but not so hard that we can't train the next day, we also have to listen to the voice in our head that says, this is too much too fast, I'm at major risk or burnout or injury.

It might not be fun to withdraw from the event, but on the other hand, it would be even worse to start it with a jumble of thoughts which include, I'm not ready. So I'd say, after carefully thinking about the time left to the event and your fitness level, if you really don't think you'll be ready, withdraw. In such a case, why enter and risk being miserable and wind up hating triathlon? There are a bunch of other shorter distance triathlons in our area. Plus, ironman will be there next year. Heck, there are even closer ones at more convenient times of the year.

As for me, I'll probably be having this conversation with myself in late April or May. ;)

1 Comments:

  • >>As for me, I'll probably be having this conversation with myself in late April or May. ;)

    Doubtful. You'll be much farther along with your preparation, as long as you keep up with the bike. Plus, you have JHS and EE to help you along.

    I'm going to see how things go over the next 4 weeks, and then decide. We have until 2/28 to officially withdraw.

    -T2

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home