Iron Dreams

Friday, May 27, 2005

Run 5/27

It was another sunny hot day, so good thing I ran at the Redmond Watershed, which is shaded.

I ran the 5 mile loop 3 times. I usually go counter-clockwise but for variety I did the last loop clockwise. I kept it well in the aerobic zone, probably around 65% max heart rate. The laps were: 56 minutes, 58 minutes, 58 minutes. So, a total of 15 miles in 2:52. For each lap I ran all the way out back to my car, to reload on water and gel, and stretch a little bit. The stretching actually helps my knees feel better.

This will be my long run for IM prep. I know an IM vet who swears up and down that there isn't any point to running more than a half-marathon in training - at a certain point, the stress and damage you do is more harmful than beneficial. Still, it would have been nice to do 18 miles or so. When I finished, I had more left in me, but I only planned for 15 miles and brought that much water and gel.

I could have pressed on for a bit more, but I decided to exercise discretion, leave some energy in my legs for the rest of the weekend, and not push too hard and risk an injury.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home