Iron Dreams

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Flexibility Training

What goes along with strength training is flexibility training.

Both will help prevent injuries and muscle pulls. Flexibility will also help me as I put my various limbs through ranges of motion. I need to stretch my lower back so I can sit comfortably in the aero position for extended periods.

Most importantly, flexibility will make it more comfortable for me on the bike. I plan on a bike fitting for my race bike, as I'm not as comfortable on it as I think I should be.

Part of me is reluctant to do the fitting, because I'm afraid I'll either hear: a) your bike isn't the right size and nothing can be done except get another one, or b) you are already fit perfectly, so you'll just have to deal with the minor discomfort you feel. But, this is silly as I need to have it taken care of. I'm not miserable on the bike, I just wind up fidgeting frequently and can't stay in the aero position for long. Part of the discomfort is saddle related, and the other part is neck and shoulder soreness.

It is possible a different saddle will help. I'm using a Selle San Marco Aspide Triathlon Gel saddle, and may consider one of those split ergonomic saddles. As it turns out, T2 has a saddle like that and I found it comfy for the few minutes I tried it out once.

I'm hoping with some stretching and a bike fit, this will be taken care of. I know I need to figure out something, as I'll be spending around 7 hours on the bike during the event, and it has to be comfortable otherwise the race will be shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home