Iron Dreams

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Cascades Edge Sprint 6/11

Unlike last at last week's oly, I decided it would be OK to put in a moderate effort - letting my heart rate rise to 85% on the bike and run. A did a good job of hitting that goal:



I finished in 1:27:17:

  • Swim - 17:39
  • T1 - 4:18
  • Bike - 39:50
  • T2 - 2:52
  • Run - 22:38


Not much to say about the swim except I felt like I sighted decently. It was cold of course, so it took a few minutes to settle into a rhythm.

The bike went well. I had a bit of numbness/discomfort, and without going into too many details, lets just say that at IM, I'll definitely take my time through transition and put on bike shorts. The race shorts with the thinner pad just isn't quite enough. Perhaps a different saddle would help, but I'm not changing that out with such little time. Besides, this same saddle was fine for the Kirkland Century; I am convinced it is all about more padding for me. It is possible the new pedals are thinner than my previous ones and may require me to move my seat down just a touch. Anyway, this didn't strike until about mile 9 or 10 out of 12, so I sat up a bit for the remainder of the ride. One thing different about a sprint is that I wasn't passed for 3/4 of the bike course - at an olympic I am used to getting passed all the time. ;) I think this has more to do with a combination of things: 1) more serious athletes do the olympic, 2) the better sprint athletes are out of the water before me. When I was passed, it was a group of 3 or 4 in quick succession.

The run went well, I felt strong and I had good turnover. Mentally, it helped that I was also passing lots of people. I managed to turn in a 7:40 pace, which I am happy with.

One thing I am totally lazy about is transition - 4:18 at T1 and 2:52 for T2. I could have placed 2 spots higher in my division by shaving off a combined 1 minute from transition. On the other hand, I was making no effort to move fast. At IM transition time will be lost in the noise and I haven't worked on it at all. Also, T1 should probably be 30 to 45 seconds higher, and my bike time 30 to 45 seconds lower, because I was fiddling with my bike gloves at the dismount line.

1 Comments:

  • Speedy run there! 7:40 is a great pace!

    I noticed that before my fit ( which lowered my saddle ) I tended to rock my pelvis forward to get good leg extension on the bike. This uhhh, caused symptoms similar to what you didn't quite describe. So I second that idea.

    Looking good!

    -C

    By Blogger Chris Parker, at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home