Iron Dreams

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

New Pedals

Finding out about the pedal float issue with my SPD pedals is good news, because it explains the minor knee pain I get every now and then. My only concern is that it wasn't too wise to switch pedal systems 2.5 weeks before my event. On the other hand, riding with a slightly misaligned cleat/pedal is probably a worse idea. I've gotten by this long, but I don't want to risk a permanent injury. Or, having it flare up at IMCdA.

After thinking a little, I asked CP (who works at the store) what she thought. CP uses Speedplays as well, is a multiple IM finisher, and she thought I had plenty of time to get used to new pedals. Also, I know that T2 and CB (and CP and probably many more people I know) use Speedplay pedals and really like them.

My main purpose was to find a solution to the intermittent left knee pain, and I hope this is it. Part of me wants to kick myself for not doing this earlier, but then the knee pain was always minor and didn't always present. I think my left knee needs just slightly more float than my former pedals can give. Say SPD allows 9 degree float, maybe my left knee needs 9.5 degrees. Anyway, I am glad I did get this looked at.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home