Iron Dreams

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Rest 6/4

I'm glad I'm doing an event before IMCdA because it has been crazy.

This morning, I spectated the Issaquah Tri, because I had two friends doing it. Afterwards, I did my shopping (lace locks, CO2 cartridges) and messed around more with my race wheels, and as a result I didn't leave for Blue Lake until about 2 pm.

The deal with the wheels is the cutout for the valve stem - my floor pump doesn't fit. I bought another one at Sammamish Valley Cycles, and it doesn't fit either. I think I need some pump with a flexible hose attachment in order to use a floor pump with the HED wheels. So with the short valve stems, the only pump I have that worked was a Pocket Rocket, a mini pump.

I also bought a small CO2 inflater and several threaded cartridges, and these worked like a champ. This will be fine for events (although I'd prefer not to have a flat at all!) but I'm not sure I'd like to spend $6 everytime I need to inflate my tires. I guess I wouldn't use too much just topping them off however.

Anyway, in my hotel I got around to putting the race wheels on. The front was fine, but I realized I didn't have a way to fasten the spoke magnet, so my bike computer won't work. The rear wheel took a little more work - first I had to tighten the rear brake, a good maintenance item to do anyway. Then, the wheel wouldn't fit quite right and I traced that down to the cutout screws. Of course, my bike tool didn't have a small enough philips head screwdriver, but fortunately my leatherman micra sorta worked enough so I could get both screws level. After this, the rear wheel fit on without rubbing the seat tube.

Then I tried out the shifting and found it was a little off - it would stay in one gear an extra time. This happens constantly and I now have a method for systematically dealing with it. First, I shift into the smallest cog (i.e. highest gear, furthest out, whatever you want to call it) where the rear derailluer isn't under any tension. Then I tighten the shift cable. This alone has fixed the last 2 or 3 shifting problems I've had. If that doesn't do it, then I adjust the limit screws. Unfortunately, my system here is merely trial-and-error: turn one screw a half turn, if that makes it worse, undo it and try the other direction. Repeat with the other limit screw.

Anyway, tensing the shift cable fixed my shift problem.

The moral of this story is: get the bike ready WELL in advance... don't be adjusting it the night before. :) Basically, this is a training event for me, and I realize going into it there is a chance I'll have a bike mechanical issue tomorrow during the race. If so, I'll try to remain calm and tell myself to just make the best of it, but certainly have the bike ready to go (as best as I can) a few days before Cascades Edge.

Obviously, this is why I'm getting my bike tuned up on June 20th, and will arrive in CdA on the 22nd. That will give me plenty of time to ride it and work out little kinks. I'm sure there will be plenty of bike help in the days before IMCdA if there is something above my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home