Iron Dreams

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Next Season

Now that the bulk of training is over, I am thinking a little bit about next season.

I don't see myself doing another ironman, only because the training demands are so high. I might change my mind, but for now, the half-ironman looks like a better mix of distance challenge versus time needed to train.

Next season will likely be sprint and olympic distance events, with an end-of-season half ironman. I might even focus on "speed"; in relative terms this means finishing in the middle of the pack. ;)

Coaching is another thought floating around. CP and JHS really enjoy their coaching and it works for them. But, I've seen their workouts and I'm not sure I can do that kind of volume without burnout. On the other hand, just knowing CP was planning on the century on his double-chainring bike, made me think that I could do it as well... and I did, which in turns gives me great confidence going into my event. So getting coached might work in this way for me as well.

Perhaps I could try something different, like an off-road triathlon - an XTERRA event. This would mean getting a mountain bike. The nice thing about Florida will be it is a bit flatter, so I could have a "gentle" introduction into XTERRA events, particularly the bike course.

All I really know is I'll be resting through July and might consider something short at the end of August or later. There is plenty of time to figure out what next season holds!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home