Iron Dreams

Monday, May 30, 2005

Bike 5/30 - 7 Hills of Kirkland Century

Did the 7 Hills of Kirkland Century route - total of 103 miles in 6:41. The good news is I felt pretty good after finishing: saddle was OK, legs were decent (well, considering I just rode a tough 103 miles). So all in all this was a great confidence builder, because this ride is my last big/tough bike workout. For that matter, the past week was "peak week" for me... thank goodness.

My only equipment issue was the web spongy thing in the Profile aerobottle shook itself loose and fell just as I started a hill descent - I wasn't able to grab it and was not in the mood to brake, cross to the other side, climb back up, and get it. I'll just order a replacement or buy the spare parts kit.

I rode with CP, visiting for Memorial Day weekend. We both agreed that it was good we had each other on the ride, because it would have been a tough and lonely century. CP is a stronger rider than I am; he said it was good I was there to keep him in check. I think I led for possibly as many as 10 minutes out of the 6:41 we were on the course. I drafted a bit, probably 1/3rd to 1/2 the time. CP was several bike lengths ahead of me most the time, so I drafted less than you would think. ;) Plus, we spent a heck of a lot of time climbing hills, and we aren't fast enough going up for there to be a draft advantage.

Past 60 miles, I took advantage and hopped off the bike to stretch at the 74 mile and 90 mile food stops. I definitely will need to do this during the IM.

I found out my HRM only keeps 5:30 of data before filling its memory. Doh.

1 Comments:

  • Thanks! And you are correct T2, my HRM allows 5/15/60 second intervals. I reset it to 15 sec and now have just under 15 hours of recording time.

    By Blogger klbarrus, at 3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home