Iron Dreams

Friday, September 17, 2004

Coaching

A wide variety of coaching options exist for the would-be Ironman finisher.

You can sign up with an outfit like Training Peaks, which sells pre-made schedules and also adds logging software and email reminders. In fact, the plan T2 and I are using as a blueprint is available on that site. Other coaching options include Rich Strauss of Crucible Fitness, Coach Cal of Critical Speed, Lance Watson of Carmichael Training Systems, Troy Jacobson, Gordo Byrn... too many to name. There are 22 coaches in the Washington region alone listed on the USA Triathlon site!

Signing up with a coach is probably a good move, depending on your goals. However, given my goals are so modest (just finish), I will merely work on the endurance to finish the event, so I believe I can self-coach adequately. That, and work with and bounce ideas off my training partner T2. Plus, T2 has a unique triathlon resource available: a friend J who is an experienced triathlete and will undoubtedly be able to offer a nugget of wisdom here and there. T2 and I may also glimpse some info off fellow triathlete JHS as the season progresses, as JHS is working with a coach.

As the miles climb I am interested in nutritional considerations during the event. But more on that another time.

Besides, coaching can be pricey, around $100 per month as a rule of thumb. I'll need to save that money for training gizmos I am considering...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home