Iron Dreams

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Computrainer

One of the training tools I am seriously thinking of getting is the CompuTrainer.

I already have a nice trainer, made by 1up USA. So why would I get a CompuTrainer? It boils down to boredom and the simulation functions.

The resistance unit of a CompuTrainer can be controlled by computer, which in turn lets the computer simulate a course for you. Lots of data is gathered as well, including power output, pedal efficiency, and so forth. I definitely want to ride the actual course of IMCdA at least once before the event, which means a drive out and a hotel stay for one or two nights. With the simulation function, I could ride it more that just once beforehand, and even try out different courses like IMAZ (when the route is published) or IMC, that are too far to get to, practically speaking. There is even an optional package that lets you create your own courses using GPS data - I'm not sure I need this as there are plenty of premade courses to download.

As for boredom, many triathletes on various on-line forums mention the CompuTrainer helps alleviate this. Right now when I use my 1up trainer I often will turn on the TV or pop a DVD in, but I'm not doing much of a workout besides spinning along. However, I might buy a Spinervals DVD to see how that works before investing in the CompuTrainer.

I know that I'll need to do plenty of trainer sessions this winter, so I need to find a way to make them enjoyable. As much as T2 and I want to get outside, even for a little bit every week, it could be tough as we'll be facing cold rain and short days. Since biking is my limiter, and Going Long repeatedly says to work on your limiters, I need to emphasize bike training.

EDIT: Okay, I bought two Spinervals DVDs: Fitness 2.0 Sweating Buckets and Competition 1.0 No Slackers Allowed!!.

2 Comments:

  • Can I come do Spinervals with you? I can just pack up the trainer and bring it to your house - it would be fun! You can Sweat Buckets, and I'll try not to be a Slacker. :)

    T2

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:14 AM  

  • Of course! I ordered these DVD's partly because I had heard so much about them, and partly because I do expect us to be forced inside every now and then, when the weather is particularly foul. ;)

    By Blogger klbarrus, at 3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home