Iron Dreams

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Winding Down the Current Season...

My training for IMCdA will break down into several phases: 1) prep/base, 2) training, 3) maintenance.

The first stage, prep/base, will occur "any time now" until mid November, when I will go on vacation to New Zealand. I will probably bring some running gear to NZ with me and see if I can sneak in a few runs - not anything too long, just 30 mins to 45 mins when I can fit it in. The plan during this stage is to start working on the bike, as it is key to success for me at the ironman. I'm planning on a ride every week with T2, a run every week with T2, possibly another shorter ride and run on my own, and strength training. If I can fit it in, I'll do a swim a week. During this period, the long bike, long run, and strength training will be my focus.

Then, in early December, stage 2 begins: T2 and I begin the 16 week Gale Bernhardt plan (hereafter referred to as the GB plan). We'll train together right to IMAZ.

After this, I'll still have 10 weeks until my event! The weeks after IMAZ and before IMCdA will be stage 3: maintenance. I will use this time to fine tune, which again probably will boil down to working on bike volume and a long run. Basically, I just want to maintain my fitness and work on anything that is weak. It will be tempting to do speedwork, to feel like I have to try to get faster, but I know better. Speed is not the concern, just endurance.

I have more specifics, but I'm a little distracted by the rest of the current season! I have a sprint tri tomorrow (Kirkland), an olympic tri the week after that (Black Diamond), and then a half-marathon the week after that (Sacramento). After the oly I'll take my bike in for a tune-up, do some minimal running for the half-marathon, and then take some days off and prepare for the months ahead.

So, as much as I enjoy this, I am looking forward to winding down the current season...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home