Iron Dreams

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Bike 1/30

I rode from my house to the SRT, and headed towards Seattle. I had vague notions of seeing if the bald eagle were still there (I packed my camera this time), but I wasn't able to go that far in the time I had available.

I wound up riding 20.7 miles in 1:30. I fiddled with the sensor magnet but wasn't able to get the computer to read. Instead, I wore my Garmin Forerunner 201 instead. Runners are more interested in their pace (minutes per mile) while cyclists are interested in speed (miles per hour). Since the Forerunner is mainly a running tool, it reports pace. I tried to stick about 4 min/mile, as that is 15 mph. One this is for certain - I'm not used to seeing paces that low!

The clip on fenders worked pretty well, although somewere along the 2/3rds mark I had to stop and readjust them as the rear fender was rubbing against my wheel. Still, they are easy-on easy-off and did keep a lot of the mud and crud from landing on my back.

During the ride I thought of all the bike gear I could use - an few extra long sleeve jerseys, bike pants, a bike computer, perhaps another ergonomic saddle to test... that's a lot! I think I'll be frugal and wait for my REI dividend - I should be getting around $200 this year, which should go a long ways towards this stuff. Besides, waiting and spending the dividend on things I need will help prevent me from blowing it on other gizmos. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home