Iron Dreams

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Road Bike

I did get my road bike back, updated with the all new ultegra components. It is really nice - 10 speed ultegra drive train, ultegra hubs, etc.

If I may bike-geek out for a sec... the new bottom bracket and crank arms attach differently. First, the left crank has two 5 mm bolts which fasten on. A new circular wrench is used to remove the dust cap, revealing the crank bolt, still the 8 mm size. But, the drive side cranks don't have a hole for the crank bolt, so you just unscrew from the left side. Once you take that off, the drive side crank pops out and with it comes the drive shaft. The bottom bracket itself has nice little markings on it which remind you of which was the bottom bracket cups screw on (since the bottom bracket is threaded opposite). The left crank has one larger notch, so it only fits on the spindle at the correct spot.

For all my waiting, I got some tools thrown in, including a bottom bracket spanner for the outer part, and the bottom bracket wrench for the inner part. He also added new handlebar tape, new batteries for the bike computer, and he showed me how to swap the parts out. So, maybe I'll give it a shot to see how hard it really is.

Now, the catch is he still has the powercranks, because he needs to order some spacers. The 10 speed ultegra gears are thinner, which makes the spacing different for the chainring. Anyway, that is understandable (well, why it is taking so long is another matter), but he showed me what happens currently with the powercranks on with the current spacers - the bike doesn't drop into the small chainring. With thinner spacers, it should work fine.

I am glad to have my road bike back! Now, I might take my Cervelo into Sammamish Valley Cycles and ask about new bars and stem, as the Cinelli Angels are really agressive and I'm just not flexible enough to be comfortable in the aero position. Unless the stem shrinks a few inches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home