Iron Dreams

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Rest 1/14, 1/15

Today was just a travel day, and I didn't get any exercise in. tomorrow I'll just pick up my race packet and visit some friends.

I chatted a bit with KC via IM yesterday. KC asked if I were planning on a half-ironman this year... whenever KC brings it up, I just say something like "that's a great goal" or "Black Diamond in late September looks possible". Hehe, little does KC realize I have plans to complete a full ironman earlier in the season. KC once also asked about spectating at IMCdA - I mentioned that is a long way to go to see a race, plus the difficult logistics of lodging, etc. I didn't mention I plan to complete IMCdA 2005!

KC has talked about watching T2 and I in an event, and to this I say the Kirkland Sprint Tri is the best venue - close by in Kirkland, short event since it is a sprint, etc. Maybe KC planned to come watch last year when T2 and I did it, but was off doing another hobby.

If people want to come spectate, I'm all for that, but at the same time I try to emphasize that I'm a middle-of-pack to back-of-pack athlete and my events are not that exciting. Add to this fact it will eat up at least three hours of time for a sprint (including travel time to/from the event) and the races generally require hitting the road pretty early, it might not be as enjoyable as (for example) the times we've gone to watch JU compete. But, JU is a few dozen levels of competition higher.

Basically I'm thinking the best way to spectate IMCdA would be via the webcasting at ironmanlive.com. I think you'd have to be a pretty huge triathlon fan, a prospective competitor, or be dating or be married to one of the competing athletes, to spectate an ironman in person! And even in this situation, I'd work some scheme to where whoever came to see me basically waited at the finish line for as little time as possible. Heck, I'd carry my cellphone and call in when I hit 20 miles at the marathon.

Anyway, just some tri talk that came up with another friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home