Iron Dreams

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Swim 4/18

I hadn't been in the pool in over a week, so I was looking forward to getting in 2000 yards. Amazing isn't it, last year I'm not sure I ever would have "looked forward" to swimming 2000 yards in a day!

I warmed up with 100 yards, then did 600 yards, 400 yards, 500 yards, and 400 yards. Times were 12:15, 8:15, 10:45, 8:45; and yes I did slow down as the yards piled up. So the total was 42 minutes for 2000 yards. At that pace I'll cover the 4224 yards of the IM swim in under 89 minutes. Good enough for me!

I swam in chunks because I was trying out a piece of equipment I forgot I had: a ring counter. Since my HRM is off having its battery replaced, I dug around in my bag to find something else I could use to keep time. Instead of a watch, I found a ring lap counter I forgot I bought.

This thing is pretty cool, because I nearly always lose count of my laps while swimming. I've tried all sorts of strategies - the best one is based around my speed. Since I swim 100 yards in about 2 minutes, I would just swim about 8 minutes and stop at the next lap, as a way of measuring 400 yards. But with the ring lap counter, I can just hit the button and have it remember for me. Nice! Especially because I want to start swimming longer and longer sets, without losing track of where I am.

The ring counter was comfortable on my index finger, where my thumb could easily reach the button. It doesn't interfere with my stroke at all. I decided to make 2 lengths a lap, so every 50 yards I would hit the button. I found myself pausing a bit to make sure I hit it - perhaps over time I'll be able to do it without breaking my rhythm at all.

At the end, the counter will display total laps and time, fastest lap and time, slowest lap and time, and average lap time. It is super easy to use - just hit the big button all the time, and hold it at the end to stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home