Iron Dreams

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Bike 5/17

After hearing about the big hill off Lake Sammamish Blvd, from T1, MM, and CB, I decided I had to try it out. After work I rode over and turned on the SE 34th St.

It started out very gentle, less grade than 60 Acres Hill. But the road veered left slightly and up ahead I could see a major climb. Midway up, more hill was revealed around another turn. I've climbed steeper but shorter hills - this hill has a nice combination of grade and length. Good for training!

Total ride was 27.4 miles in 1:54.

Afterwards, I decided to wash my bike (the Trek). It had been months since I washed it (I remember telling myself to do it after Chilly Hilly back in February), and so the bike had accumulated a lot of crud from all the rainy rides I've done on it. I took the wheels off and scrubbed the hubs as best I could, and then did the frame and drivetrain. After this I rinsed off the bike, cleaned the chain, and finally applied some chain lube. It isn't quite a tune up, but a regular cleaning should help keep the bike in working condition. Tomorrow when it is all dry I'll go through and tighten up various hex bolts - the rear brake seemed a bit loose.


bike 050517


According to TOPO, the hill is an average 6% grade, with the steep part at 8%. That is a lot like Slater, but longer. It is less than Education Hill (104th/Avondale), but longer. There is also a hill nearby called Winery Hill, which I think would beat SE 34th St. However, Winery Hill has no bike lane and has some blind curves... I'm not sure I'd really want to bike up it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home