Iron Dreams

Monday, February 07, 2005

Bike 2/6

Today I rode with some friends - 47.5 miles in approx 3:20. I don't have the exact mileage or time as I used the forerunner, but forgot to turn it on for one segment of the ride.

Anyway, this bike ride was... an adventure to say the least.

  • I learned I need to get some waterproof gloves and/or a warmer glove situation. By the end of the ride my fingers were really numb. So were my toes, but I can experiment wearing a second pair of socks. The good news is the ergonomic saddle is really working out - I'm not really stiff or sore at all, at that point of contact with the bike. ;)

  • As far as what it means for IM, I'm not sure. 47.5 miles in 3:20 works out to 112 miles in about 7:51, which does in fact make the bike cutoff time. The conditions we had would be widely regarded as poor - but I'm not sure if biking in the heat or wind would be easier. Since I still have nearly four months left, there is time, and this ride can be viewed as a positive.

  • Towards the end of the ride T2 pulled up beside me and I said "we'd hope for better conditions during the event!", and T2 replied "this ride tells me I'm not at all ready". But I think the conditions won't be this lousy - it may rain, but it surely will be warmer than the high 30's or low 40's.

  • This ride makes me think that maybe I don't need to do Chilly Hilly after all. I did it two years ago and it was fun, but we had really good weather. Heck, I can just do two loops around Lake Sammamish.

  • My bike is encrusted with about 70 miles of crud from the weekend. I need to clean my bike tomorrow.

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home