Iron Dreams

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Softrides (Another Crazy Bike Idea)

I saw a pic of the new Softride models for 2005:

Softride


Now, this is a fancy setup. But, what caught my eye was the fact the seat position looks adjustable. See how the seat is attached to the top tube (the beam)? It looks like that clamp can move forwards or backwards along the beam! If that is true, then that is one more degree of freedom for getting the perfect bike fit - for the aero position, you can adjust the stem length, adjust the aerobars... AND also move the seat forward, something not normally possible.

I looked on the Softride website, and it says this:

Cockpit length is a combination of top tube length and stem length. This length determines the rider's reach, position and overall comfort more than any other single variable. One of the advantages the Softride beam offers is that it does not restrict the rider with a fixed tob tube length or seat tube angle the way a rigid frame does.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but still, it is more adjustable than a regular bike frame.

Anyway, I will get a fitting on my current race bike and see what that does for me. When I ride in the aero position, I feel a little stretched out. I can move the aerobars back a bit, which will change how much I have to stretch my arms. But, if I want my shoulders to be a bit more forward, so my shoulders-to-elbow are more vertical, I really need the seat to move forward just a bit.

Some bikes are designed for women, and account for slight differences in leg and torso proportions between men and women. For example, Trek makes a line of WSD bikes (Women Specific Design). I suspect I might benefit from something similar, as my torso might be just slightly shorter than normal for a typical male of my height.

Well, I'll get a bike fitting done on my Cervelo P2K before considering anything else. It's just a crazy bike idea that entered my mind. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home