Iron Dreams

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Bike Fitting

I had my race bike fitting last week, with Erik Moen of the Pro Sports Club, and it was well worth it.

I've ridden my bike three times since, twice on the trainer and once outside, and now I am far more comfortable in the aero position.

He made the following changes:
  • raised saddle 13 mm - This makes my thigh less likely to hit my chest at the top of the stroke. Hip angle at the top of the stroke isn't as compressed.
  • move saddle forward - I don't have to stretch as far to grab the aerobars. Saddle nose is now 4 cm in front of the bottom bracket, and as a result my weight is a bit forward. This distribution isn't ideal, but should be OK as long as I am aware of the possible balance implication.
  • move aerobars back - Same thing, don't have to stretch as far. Unfortunately, my aerobar stem length can't be adjusted (adjusting stem length is preferable because the saddle wouldn't need to move forward as much).
  • changed angle of the aerobar pads - This means the angle my forearms are aiming forward.
  • centered my cleats - This will help me cut back on an outward motion at the top of my pedal stroke, which is noticeable on my right leg.
  • shorter crank arms - He suggested trying 170 mm cranks arms instead of 175's. Less distance over the top of my pedal stroke.

Other suggestions:

  • shorter crank arms - He suggested trying 170 mm cranks arms instead of 175's. Less distance over the top of my pedal stroke.
  • isolated leg pedaling - Work on this technique drill. Of course, with my powercranks I'll have that well covered!
  • hamstring stretch - A good goal is to be able to raise your leg to a 90 degree angle. I am only getting about 80 degrees, so he suggested two hamstring stretches.
  • keep right knee from swinging out - The cleat alignment helped, but I can also work on this improved form.
  • new saddle - My saddle has a seam, which doesn't bother me as far as I know. If I get a new saddle, try to get one with no seams.


To be really comfy in the aero position, I also need to work on lower back flexibility and neck flexibility. Plus, a new saddle might be in order - without being too blunt, my saddle presses a bit in the center and on the sides. The first source of discomfort may be alleviated with an ergonomic cutout. I'm not sure about the second, other than the symptom is pinched circulation. Basically, I fidget in the saddle, moving side to side or lifting up a bit, every few minutes. Right now, my saddle comfort isn't excruciating, but probably can be improved on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home