Iron Dreams

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Combining swimming and strength training

I plan to strength train. Since the gym with a pool is a bit of a drive, I'd also like to combine the session with strength training. Lately, I've been thinking of the order of workouts: swim then lift, or vice versa? Since it is good to stretch before strength training, I decided I would swim first and then strength train. This way, the swim would loosen and warm up my muscles, and if I were tired, I'd just use less weight.

This opinion is also the general consensus on a thread at TriNewbies. There are many reasons, some of the best are:

  • Never swim with poor form; overdoing the strength training before the swim might result in poor swim form
  • Save your best workouts for swim/bike/run workouts; strength training is secondary

1 Comments:

  • Although, interestingly, some people suggest lifting weights prior to running - perhaps only if you're not working on running form issues...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home