Iron Dreams

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Bike 3/12

I met JHS at Marymoor for an afternoon ride. The original route I suggested was to ride north on the SRT and climb Hollywood Hill, then come back to Marymoor and ride around Lake Sammamish. JHS was looking for an easier day, so we changed to do Hollywood Hill and then an out-and-back along the SRT/BG trail.

It was another windy day, and as we were passing 60 Acres Park I thought of taking the detour and climbing the 60 Acres Hill (a.k.a. 154th Pl NE). JHS reluctantly agreed, as she thought the hill was going to be far tougher - this particular hill is 2% or 3%. Anyway, we did that, got back on the SRT and climbed up Hollywood Hill.

After that we took it easy, chatted while riding, and ultimately went to Matthews Beach and turned around. Total ride time was 3:15, and we rode 43.5 miles.

I was able to try out six Gu flavors:

  • Tri Berry - a bit sweet
  • Espresso Love - tasty, not too sweet for me
  • Orange Burst - a bit sweet
  • Chocolate Outrage - a bit sweet/thick
  • Vanilla Bean - tasty, not too sweet for me
  • Banana Blitz - tasty, not too sweet for me

I liked all the flavors, but Espresso, Vanilla, and Banana will be the majority of what I eat, because they are the most palatable for me. The Banana Blitz was on the edge of tasting too much like pudding - that isn't bad, it it more that an athlete's stomach tends to get picky during long events - so my preference there might change.


bike 050312


The small blip around 5 miles is 60 Acres Hill. Hollywood Hill is the nice climb from miles 7 through 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home