Iron Dreams

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Swim 4/5

I didn't have as much time today, so I decided to do 1000 of fist glove drills. I'm getting better - this was the first time I didn't feel like I had to struggle to breathe. My drill/warmup was 5x200 in about 21 minutes.

After that I took the fist gloves off and swam 1x400 in about 7:30. Woot! For me, that is pretty fast. ;) In summary, 1400 yards in 28:30.

When I arrived, all the lanes were taken with one person each. As I looked around, one elderly guy I see regularly waved and moved over to share a lane with another lady swimming slow laps. He typically wears a snorkel mask and a flotation belt, and sculls himself back and forth. Later after we were drying off and changing, I thanked him and said I would have shared the lane, I didn't mean for him to move. He laughed and said he gets claustrophobic (hence the seal mask and snorkel) but most interestingly, he is recovering from hip surgery - when he said that I looked at immediately noticed a large semicurcular scar on his hip - and that aqua jogging and just floating around was really helping him.

I thought wow, that is really great he is determined to get some exercise. Also, doing what you can with the body you have definitely gets an A+ for effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home