Iron Dreams

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Base Schedule

I have a tentative base training schedule:

M - ? (swim/strength)
T - run
W - bike
Th - bike
F - swim
S - run
Su - bike

The weekend will be group events: Saturday will be runs with the Eastside Runners (my running group) or with T1 and T2, and Sunday will be a bike ride with T1 and T2 and possibly with JHS. That's the plan. I'll juggle it around to hit a workout with T1 and T2 somehow. :)

Tuesday will be a moderate distance run, at most 8 miles on down to less than 4. Wednesday and Thursday's bike will also be modest, perhaps a ride to work plus a bit more for 10 to 15 miles total. Friday I'll hit the pool at a local high school and do some drills.

I can't decide what to do about Monday. My goal in this period is to take it easy while working out, so I shouldn't really need a rest day. In fact, getting used to making the time for a daily workout is probably best. So rather than resting I think I'll drive out to the gym for a double workout: easy swim and then some moderate strength training. I'll see how that goes.

This schedule gets me three bikes a week, two runs, and two swims. I might even consider weighting the bike more as it is my weakest discipline. For example, I could bike on Tuesday as well - and maybe still run, depending on time. If I did this, I would cut the run back and just go for time, say 30 minutes. Or if I'm really tired on Monday I can move the swim/strength to Tuesday and replace the workout.

One critical factor T2 has mentioned is sleep. Maybe I need to set an alarm to remind myself to go to bed!

I'll kick off this weekend, and follow this schedule until mid-November, when I go on vacation for two weeks.

2 Comments:

  • I disagree - I think you need a rest day. I'd say do a double another day, and have Monday be a rest day. Don't overdo it during base! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:04 AM  

  • Hm... there is great wisdom in your statement. I may indeed replace the Tuesday run with the swim/strength workout. In this early period I probably should hit the swim and bike more than the run.

    By Blogger klbarrus, at 2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home