Iron Dreams

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Improving Nutrition

T2's recent post on eating better had made me evaluate my own diet.

I almost always eat cereal for breakfast, usually with some fresh fruit - a handful of blueberries. I'll also have a small cup of orange juice. I think I do OK as far as breakfast.

For lunch, I'll often eat out with coworkers. It is partly a social thing as well, and we have favorite restaurants in the area we frequent. I avoid fast food, but do eat it perhaps once or twice a month. When I do eat fast food, I'll either have the spicy chicken sandwich combo at Wendy's (regular size meal with a diet coke), or the 2 piece chicken combo at KFC, with a side of corn-on-the-cob and either baked beans or mashed potatoes. I don't consider Subway to be fast food, because it appears their ingredients are fresh, non-processed, non-injected-with-junk, non-preservative-laden, and so forth. When I eat at Subway I almost always get the southwest chipotle cheese steak, and as a fallback I'll get the BMT. As far as the restaurants I eat at, I'm sure there is room for improvement, but I think I do OK here as well.

One friend at work just loves to eat fast food (for example, he thinks the food court at Costco is a great lunch), but I've managed to put the kibosh on that when I have lunch with him. Another coworker and I have similar tastes and we'll eat together fairly often. Anyway, I could bring my lunch once a week or so, but as I mentioned, eating out for lunch is partly a social thing and something I enjoy.

Dinner is one area I am horrible in. I cook so rarely it is embarrassing to admit how often it happens. Let's just say I get by on:

  • eating at friends (i.e. I'm invited over to eat with a family)
  • eating out (I'm getting good at eating half of a take-out order, thus getting two meals out of it)
  • microwave dinners


Well, that has to change. I could be saving money, eating better, impressing women with my ability to cook. ;) Hehe. Who knows, maybe I'll actually enjoy cooking as a hobby.

So I am going to set a very modest goal of cooking once a week. If I can't do this I must somehow mentally beat myself up. I will rent Se7en and focus on the SLOTH part of the movie if I have to.

I have two cookbooks that should be ideal: 5 in 10 cookbook and 365 Great 20-Minute recipes.

I plan to flip through these books and identify at least 10 recipes to try out, adding a few more over time. I'll even blog about it on my public blog! I'm not sure which day is best to start on. Surely I can find one hour on either Saturday or Sunday this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home